Monday, January 25, 2016

Got my bike!

I want to thank my friend Frank Pavatich for the Melbourne tour on Saturday, but especially the note he wrote for me on the bike thing. Dealer says, I gotta go to Vicroads and get a Vic ID to buy a bike. I get there and she says I need an official receipt (phone bill, utility, etc.) with my name on it with that address. So I show her that note he wrote: she wrinkles her face a bit, mulls it over and starts typing stuff. Next thing you know, I got an ID and am on my way back to the dealer!

I really went the luxury (and safety!) route instead of cheap and dirty - I got a new (well, a 2014 demo with 4,000 KM on it) Victory cruiser - 120 lb heavier than my touring Harley, even. But it has ABS, full cruise control, full factory warranty with superb road service that will come get me no matter where I am! All that fit on my credit cards just fine, without currency fees or the like, plus about $40 US monthly for full coverage insurance. AND, I got the paper saying they'll buy it back after I put 40,000 KM on it. So the total cost I going to be about $5,000 US after all is said and done. AND the guaranty that any mechanical/functional problem is going to be paid for by Victory. AND, I showed up at the dealer about 10:30 AM and the same afternoon have this monster sitting out there next to the tent...

Scott McConnell of Victory Melbourne delivered the bike in a van to the car rental depot at the airport - after hours, great service already!

1 comment:

  1. Nice bike!

    You are lucky to find people who make it easier to buy/rent a bike without any local address, but like we say in French : La chance sourit aux audacieux

    Have fun and drive safety!

    ReplyDelete